How many 5Ks can you run in 24 hours? Find out at the Pemberton 24 – Festival of 5Ks, a new event that will be held from Sept. 20-21. A 5K will start every hour on the hour for 24 hours. Runners can complete up to a total of 75 miles.
This event is a partnership between Wicomico County Recreation, Parks & Tourism and Algonquin Ultras Inc.
Participants are invited to run as many 5Ks as they like, whether it’s one, five or all 24.
The course will be a 5K trail run at Pemberton Park. There will be a well-stocked aid station at the start/finish of the 5Ks, which will have cold water, snacks, gels, chips, sodas and more. Camping will be available. Tents only; no electricity provided. There will also be a festival atmosphere, with food vendors, beer and music.
Runners can compete as individuals or as part of a four-person team.
- Date: Friday, Sept. 20-Saturday, Sept. 21
- Friday, Sept. 20
- 4 p.m.: Grounds open and on-site packet pickup/check-in begins
- 7 p.m.: First 5K begins
- 5Ks continue every hour on the hour through 6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 20, with a 0.6 mile race afterward.
- Friday, Sept. 20
- Registration Fees:
- Early registration: $50
- Late/On-Site Registration: $60 (Sept. 1 or later)
- The shirt deadline is Aug. 31. Long-sleeved shirts are available for an additional $5 if reserved by that date.
- Camping: $10 for a 10-foot by 10-foot space. The deadline to register for camping is Aug. 31. Max of one camping site per registrant.
- Runners must have:
- Headlamp (if you plan to run any night 5Ks)
- Water bottle or hydration belt/vest (this will be a cupless race)
- Cup for soda
- Chair to sit on between races
The Pemberton 24 will not be a typical race. There will be a timing clock; however, winners will be determined based on a point system.
Runners will earn points for each 5K they run. A runner’s placement is important (for the Top 5 men and women), but not their times. To earn the point, runners must complete the 5K course in under an hour — before the next one starts.
Participants can earn the following points:
- 1 point for completing each 5K
- 1 additional point for completing each 5K during the hours of midnight, 1 a.m., 2 a.m., 3 a.m. and 4 a.m.
Participants will also earn points depending on how they place in each race.
Placing points for each 5K:
- 4 extra points for placing as the first male or female
- 3 extra points for placing as the second male or female
- 2 extra points for placing as the third male or female
- 1 extra point for placing as the fourth or fifth male or female
In the case of a tie for male or female, the 0.6-mile race at the end will determine the winner.
All information obtained from https://www.pembertonpark.org/pemberton-park/events/Pemberton-24